»

Ovid man burned in Sunday night house fire

The Seneca County Sheriff’s Office reports that they investigated a house fire at 6950 Rte 96a Ovid. Sheriff’s Deputies report that Ovid Fire responded to the residence for a reported fireplace fire. Upon arrival the homeowner and only occupant – William P Warne age 75 had extinguished the fire. Deputies report Warne had been using his fireplace and had put more wood and a flammable liquid in, which apparently flashed over – catching his pant leg on fire. Warne was able to put the fire out and called 911 to report the incident. Warne was transported to Geneva General Hospital by South Seneca Ambulance, and is being transferred to the burn unit at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester for further treatment. Ovid Fire was able to clean out the fireplace and air out the residence, which received only smoke damage.

Also on FingerLakes1.com