»

Wind Advisory issues for Finger Lakes

The National Weather Service in Buffalo and Binghamton have issued wind advisories for most counties in the Finger Lakes. The counties of Seneca, Wayne, Cayuga, Ontario, Yates, Livingston, and Monroe all have had wind advisories issued. The advisory begins at 6 pm this evening and runs until 6 am Monday morning, which will usher in significantly colder weather this week. Winds are expected to be sustained out of the west at 20-30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.

The timing of the wind event is expected to pick up later in the afternoon on Sunday, and then peak during the overnight hours. Along with the rising winds, temperatures will begin falling this afternoon – after the region reaches a daytime high in the mid-40s. By nightfall, the temperature will be around 20, with winds making it feel significantly colder.As with all wind advisories the National Weather Service suggests that home owners should secure loose objects outside and that motorists should maintain a firm grip on the steering wheel. Especially those driving high-profile vehicles, which are vulnerable to high winds.Those traveling from the central Finger Lakes region into Oswego, Livingston, or Wyoming counties should expect to see serious travel concerns in the next 24-48 hours. As much as 2 feet of snow is expected to fall in those warned counties, which are all under a Lake Effect Snow Warning until at least Tuesday morning.Back to Work Finger Lakes Forecast:MondayA chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 24. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.Monday NightA chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. West wind around 9 mph becoming south after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.TuesdaySnow showers likely, mainly after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 32. South wind 11 to 17 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.Tuesday NightA chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Chance of precipitation is 50%.WednesdayA chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 23. Chance of precipitation is 40%.Wednesday NightA chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. Chance of precipitation is 30%.ThursdayA chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26. Chance of precipitation is 30%.Thursday NightA chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. Chance of precipitation is 30%.FridayA chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. Chance of precipitation is 30%.For the latest local forecast and live radar images visit the FingerLakes1.com FingerLakes1.com Local Weather Center.

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on RedditPrint this pageEmail this to someone

Also on FingerLakes1.com