The Auburn Police Department reports that they have completed an investigation into the suspicious fire at the old LVRR building at 140 Clark Street, which is also referred to as the Roundhouse.
— CNY Central (@CNYcentral) March 15, 2016
The fire was reported at 4:07 pm on Saturday, March 12th and was deemed suspicious by the Auburn Fire Department. The building is owned by Bowtak, Inc., and they advised that there were no working utilities at that building. The Auburn Police Department then received information regarding the possible involvement of three juveniles who were observed in the immediate vicinity of the fire. All three juveniles were located and interviewed regarding the fire. One 15-year-old male admitted to starting a small fire in a makeshift fire pit before he exited the building. He also told police that he “flicked” a lit cigarette into a room and walked away from it. Auburn Fire Department Investigators determined that the fire started in that room and quickly spread to the entire building due to the age of the building and the contents located within. Police say, the teen that lit the fire stated he did not intend to burn the building down and admitted that he acted in a reckless manner by starting the fire in the fire pit, as well as throwing a lit cigarette into a storage room. The building was used as a storage area for Bowtak and was deemed as a total loss by their insurance company. The damage to the building and contents is estimated to be over $50,000.
— CNY Central (@CNYcentral) March 12, 2016
The 15 year old juvenile that started the fire will be charged with arson in the fourth degree, which is a class E felony. He will be charged with criminal mischief in the fourth degree and criminal trespass in the third degree, which are both misdemeanors.Two other juveniles ages 14 and 15 were present inside the building and face charges of criminal trespass in the third degree, which is a misdemeanor.All three juveniles will be petitioned to Cayuga County Family Court to answer to the charges.