»

Historic structures noted at Alasa Farms

On May 7th at 10 am Cracker Box Palace at the Historic Alasa Farms will be presenting the finding of an extensive historic structures report on the buildings at the farm.  The 710 acres of Alasa Farms is in the National Register of Historic Places. The presentation will be given by Mr. Ted Bartlett of Crawford & Sterns of Syracuse, NY. Many of the buildings on Alasa farms were built during the early 19th century. The property was originally a Shaker Community.Also speaking at the event will be Mr. Griff Mangan, former owner of Alasa Farm, whose family made the farm one of New York State’s most progressive and high tech operations in its day. In October 1924 the farm was purchased by Griff’s ancestors Mr. Alvah G. Strong from the Chamberlain family.The report includes detailed analysis of the First House (1834), Trustees’ Office (1836) Granary/Hog Shed (1883) and 11 West Enclave buildings and structures.The Historic Structures Report was funded by NYS Office of Parks Recreation and Historic Preservation, the Preservation League of New York State, and many private donors, including the C.H. Stuart Foundation.The presentation is open to the public. There will be a short reception after the presentation in the lobby of the auditorium. Following the presentation/reception guided tours of the building will be offered at Cracker Box Palace until 3PM. Cheri Roloson and Burt Madison, the founders of Cracker Box Palace  as well as other Cracker Box Palace Board Members will be available to answer questions and provide additional information on the farms efforts to provide shelter to animals at risk and conserve the environment.

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on RedditPrint this pageEmail this to someone