Hazardous materials units from four counties responded Wednesday morning for a chemical spill that resulted in an evacuation of the Smart System Technology and Commercialization Center off State Route 332. No employees were hurt as a result of the spill and one firefighter was treated at Thompson Hospital as a precaution, although crews not only battled the spill but also the oppressive heat and humidity, said Canandaigua Fire Chief Mark Marentette. Facility staff reported a leak of hydrofluoric acid at 11:44 am, Marentette said. Workers pulled a fire alarm, which resulted in employees leaving the center without incident.
While as much as 90 gallons of the liquid did escape, none of it left the building, which was crucial in containing the accident.