While no official cause of the fire and explosion that was felt in Waterloo, as a mobile home exploded Tuesday morning – some believe that propane tanks could have been to blame. Waterloo Fire Chief told News 10NBC that “the park is unique” in that it utilizing propane instead of natural gas, which means that each individual home is handling it’s own propane. He explained that while the tanks are often safe, they can sometimes explode under extreme circumstances.
Multiple agencies were called to 891 Waterloo Geneva Road on Tuesday morning around 8:30 am for the report of two structures on fire, as well as the report of a trailer explosion.
That report, which was picked up on scanner traffic around 9:00 am indicated that multiple agencies from Seneca and Ontario counties were going to the scene. First responders were being told to report to 891 Waterloo Geneva Road.
According to scanner traffic, the fire at the first structure caused the second structure to catch fire, which was brought under control around 9:15 am.
The Waterloo Fire Chief has indicated that no one was inside the home at the time of the blast, or subsequent fire – but that two pets are currently unaccounted for.
As of 9:21 am a fire investigation team, code enforcement, as well as NYSEG were all present or reporting to the scene.
Photos from the scene at Mallard Crossing
Fire chief says mobile home at Park Mallard Crossing in Waterloo exploded around 8:30 this morning. No one inside. Two pets unaccounted for. pic.twitter.com/9BANGO6Lo3
— Rachel Spotts (@whec_rspotts) September 20, 2016
Trailer explosion in Waterloo. Nobody inside at the same. Two pets unaccounted for. pic.twitter.com/u83H2rOo5h
— Amy Hudak (@amy_hudak) September 20, 2016
FingerLakes1.com has reached out to authorities in Waterloo and will have more on this story as it becomes available.