Generations Bank announced today that Menzo Case, President & CEO, has been appointed to the Community Bank Advisory Council of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for a two-year term. Case joins banking leaders from across the country in this new role.
“I am looking forward to working with the CFPB’s Community Bank Advisory Board, especially since they are scheduled to discuss areas affecting consumers in the Finger Lakes Region,” said Generations Bank President and CEO, Menzo D. Case. “The CFPB is a relatively new agency, and my hope is to provide some helpful ideas to curtail some of the harmful practices in the banking industry.”
The complete press release from the Consumer Financial Protections Bureau can be read below:
Today the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) announced the appointment of new consumer experts from outside the federal government to the Consumer Advisory Board, Community Bank Advisory Council, Credit Union Advisory Council, and Academic Research Council. The four bodies provide advice to CFPB leadership on a broad range of consumer financial issues and emerging market trends.
“The Bureau’s advisory board and councils play an important role in making sure that the Bureau is taking into account the wide variety of perspectives and views in the consumer financial marketplace,” said CFPB Director Cordray. “The new additions being announced today bring experience and knowledge that will help inform the CFPB’s work going forward.”
The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act charges the CFPB with establishing a Consumer Advisory Board to advise and consult with the Bureau’s Director on a variety of consumer financial issues. At the behest of the Director, the Bureau also created a Community Bank Advisory Council, a Credit Union Advisory Council and an Academic Research Council. The Community Bank and Credit Union Advisory Councils advise and consult with the Bureau on consumer financial issues related to community banks and credit unions. The Academic Research Council shares insight relating to research methodologies, data collection, and analytic strategies. In January 2016, the CFPB issued a Federal Register Notice outlining the responsibilities of the advisory groups, as well as the duties of its members, and solicited applications for appointment.
The newly appointed advisory group members include experts in consumer protection, financial services, community development, fair lending, civil rights, consumer financial products or services, representatives of community banks and credit unions, and scholars with relevant methodological and subject matter experience. The expertise and institutional-size diversity among advisory group members reflects the range of issues under the Bureau’s jurisdiction as well as the racial, ethnic and geographic diversity of U.S. consumers. New members to the Consumer Advisory Board and Academic Research Council will serve three-year terms and new members to the Community Bank and Credit Union Advisory Councils will serve two-year terms.
Consumer Advisory Board Members:
- Lynn Drysdale, Managing Attorney, Consumer Law Unit, Jacksonville Area Legal Aid, Inc., Jacksonville, Fla.
- Paulina Gonzalez, Executive Director, California Reinvestment Coalition, San Francisco, Calif.
- William Howle, Head of U.S. Retail Bank, Citibank, New York, N.Y.
- Ruhi Maker, Senior Attorney, Empire Justice Center, Rochester, N.Y.
- Arjan Schutte, Founder and Managing Partner, Core Innovation Capital, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Lisa Servon, Professor, The New School, New York University, New York, N.Y.
- Raul Vazquez, Chief Executive Officer, Oportun, Redwood City, Calif.
- James M. Wehmann, Executive Vice President, Scores for Fair Isaac Corporation (FICO), Roseville, Minn.
- Chi Chi Wu, Staff Attorney, National Consumer Law Center, Boston, Mass.
Community Bank Advisory Council Members:
- Melissa A. Ballard, Vice President and Director, First Iowa State Bank, Albia, Iowa
- Menzo D. Case, President and Chief Executive Officer, Generations Bank, Seneca Falls, N.Y.
- Linda Feighery, Vice President and Community Reinvestment Act /Fair Lending Officer for Citywide Banks, Denver, Colo.
- Brenda K. Hughes, Senior Vice President and Director of Mortgage and Retail Lending, First Federal Savings Bank of Twin Falls, Twin Falls, Idaho
- Dion Kidd Johnson, President, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Risk Officer, Western Bank, Alamogordo, N.M.
- Cal Ratcliff, Senior Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer, Bank of North Carolina, High Point, N.C.
- Trent Sorbe, President, Central Payments Division, Central Bank of Kansas City, Kansas City, Mo.
Credit Union Advisory Council Members:
- Faith Lleva Anderson, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, American Airlines Federal Credit Union, Fort Worth, Texas
- Daniel Berry, Chief Executive Officer, Duke University Federal Credit Union, Durham, N.C.
- Patrick F. Harrigan, Chief Risk Officer and General Counsel, Service Credit Union, Portsmouth, N.H.
- Ricardo Ledezma, Corporate Compliance Assurance Manager, San Antonio Federal Credit Union, San Antonio, Texas
- Sarah Marshall, Chief Executive Officer, North Side Community Federal Credit Union, Chicago, Ill.
- Dayatra T. Matthews, Senior Vice President of Legal & Compliance, Local Government Federal Credit Union, Raleigh, N.C.
- Amy Nelson, Chief Executive Officer, Point West Credit Union, Portland, Ore.
- Raynor Zillgitt, Vice President Risk Management and General Counsel, Lake Trust Credit Union, Brighton, Mich.
Academic Research Council Members:
Ian Ayres, William K. Townsend Professor, Yale Law School, New Haven, Conn.
Brigitte Madrian, Professor, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.