Crews are still on the scene of a fire in Auburn at the old Capace Grocery Store located at 191 State Street.
According to the Auburn Fire Department the fire started around 1:09 am. Crews were continuing to extinguish hot spots around 10 am, according to the Auburn Citizen.
State Street was closed off between Seymour and Cottage Street while they worked the blaze, which caused significant damage. Those on the scene said that pieces of the building were falling off – as the structure had suffered significant damage from the fire and firefighting overnight.
According to Fire Chief Joe Morabito, some of the items inside the building were from when the building was a store. It closed 20 to 30 years ago, according to residents in Auburn.
One person lived in the back of the building, and they were being assisted by the Red Cross.
“The fire was particularly challenging because there was so many items to sift through in the back part of the house, Morabito said. At one point firefighters were crawling on the floor and thought a hole was burning in the floor that turned out to be a pile of stuff. The chimney on the south side of the building collapsed, and that’s when Morabito said he pulled his firefighters out and went on the defensive. That meant, he said, that work was done from the exterior of the building, putting as much water as possible on the building from the outside.”