The Taco Bell restaurant at 168 Grant Ave. in Auburn is closed after a fire Sunday night that caused damage to the building’s rear, exterior wall behind the drive-thru menu and smoke damage to the interior.
The Auburn Fire Department said the building was evacuated just before 9 p.m. when firefighters arrived. There were no civilian injuries, though AFD said one firefighter was treated at the scene for minor injuries.
The fire was determined to be accidental, starting at a mulch pile at the base of the rear wall. Officials said it was likely due to discarded smoking material. The fire extended up the length of the structure to the roof line. Crews opened up the exterior wall and the interior ceiling to extinguish the fire and to make sure it had not spread, officials said.