»

Ammonia tank leaks in Phelps caused hazmat situation

Deputies in Ontario County say that an ammonia leak led to a HAZMAT situation in Phelps.

The Oaks Corners Fire Department and Phelps Ambulance responded to 459 Fisher Rd. after residents of the property could smell an ammonia type odor and experienced dizziness.

The two who lived at the property, identified as William and Kelly Symonds, did not suffer any injuries and were not taken to the hospital.

Joseph Dendis, of Waterloo owns several Anhydrous Ammonia tanks on the property behidn the Symonds residence. It was determined that the valve on one of the tanks malfunctioned, allowing a small amount of the Anhydrous Ammonia to leak out from a drain hose.

Officials say less than two gallons is considered a small spill.

Once the leak was confirmed, Phelps Fire Department, the Ontario and Seneca County Hazmat Teams, Lyons Ambulance and Finger Lakes Advanced Life Support all responded to the scene.

A representative of Laird Farms in Seneca County, who services the tanks, also responded to the scene to assist with stopping the leak and replacing the faulty valve.

Fisher Rd. between County Rd. 6 and Route 14 were closed for a little over two hours. Residents in the area were asked to shelter in place temporarily.

Also on FingerLakes1.com