It was a familiar phrase by Bills Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy. Run and stop the run. Buffalo did that Sunday as LeSean McCoy spearheaded a rushing attack the rolled up 190 yards and averaged almost five yards per carry, while the defense held the Jets ground game to just 38 yards in a 21-12 victory, the first of Sean McDermott’s head coaching career.
McCoy had 159 yards from scrimmage, with 110 of them coming on the ground as he averaged five yards per carry and went over the 12,000 mark for career yards from scrimmage.
Meanwhile Buffalo’s run defense stymied the Jets running game. New York managed just 2.5 yards per carry and 38 rushing yards in a game that never saw the Bills lead by double digits.
The Jets only reached the red zone once in a game that could’ve been more lopsided than the final score.
With the win Buffalo sits atop the AFC East with a 1-0 mark on the season.
- Full Recap & Statistics (BuffaloBills.co)
- Video Highlights (YouTube)
- Maiorana: For once a Bills victory we saw coming (D&C)
- Pitoniak: McCoy carries the load in Bills season-opening victory (WROC)
- Tougher than it probably should have been, but Bills defeat Jets in opener (D&C)
- Top 3 things we learned from Bills-Jets (BuffaloBills.com)
- What they’re saying: Bills discuss first win in the McDermott era (BuffaloBills.com)
- Buffalo Bills RB LeSean McCoy is still the gift that keeps on giving (D&C)
- Bills open McDermott’s coaching era with 21-12 win over Jets (WHEC)
- Same old Shady: Bills lean on McCoy in 21-12 win over Jets (FL Times)
- Vic Carucci’s Points After: Bills 21, Jets 12 (Buffalo News)
COACH MCDERMOTT POSTGAME:
— New Era Field (@newerafield) September 10, 2017
Bills throw a pick (not shocked)
Jets pick it off (shocked)
Jets fumble (not shocked)
Bills recover (shocked)
— WTP Sports (@WTPsports) September 10, 2017
— D&C Digital (@DandC) September 10, 2017
Retweet if your team is undefeated and in sole possession of the division lead.
— The #BillsMafia (@TheBillsMafia) September 10, 2017
Handing out gloves and running off with the W.
— Buffalo Bills (@buffalobills) September 10, 2017
— Mike Catalana (@MikeCatalana) September 10, 2017
Bills are in first place in the AFC East as they beat the Jets 21-12.
Taylor: 224 yards, 2 TDs
McCoy: 159 total yards pic.twitter.com/XV3OZUnOOW
— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) September 10, 2017