Over 100 years ago, the newest immigrants to Yates County established a community of faith that survives to this day. Those “green Danes,” as the transplants from Denmark were referred to, came to the United States for a new opportunity of freedom and prosperity. As they were welcomed to their new country with foreign ways and speaking a different language, so too has their church, St. Paul’s Lutheran, welcomed new and different faces into their congregation as the last 100 years have passed.
This Sunday, St. Paul’s will celebrate their centennial with a special service at 10 a.m. and luncheon for their congregation, returning former pastors, Rev. David E. Olson (1961 – 1965) and Rev. Russell D. Scheel (1966 – 1981), and Bishop John Macholz of the Upstate New York Synod. After the service and meal, there will be a ceremonial reopening of the original church’s cornerstone from 1917 and the current building’s cornerstone from 1970.