»

UPDATE: Waterloo basement fire ruled accidental

The Waterloo Police Department and Waterloo Fire Department say that on Tuesday around 9:10 am, members of both departments responded to the report of smoke coming from a residence.

Upon checking the area, it was found that 24 East River St. in the Village of Waterloo had smoking coming from the basement windows.

According to the Police Department, upon entering it was discovered that a fire was burning in the basement.

Waterloo Fire Department, with mutual aid from Seneca Falls, Border City, and Fayette Fire Departments extinguished the fire before it had a chance to spread.

Heat damage was contained to the basement of the structure, but there was smoke damage through out.



The fire was ruled to be accidental caused by an electrical problem. The residence is owned by Cynthia Doverspike, who was not home at the time of the incident.

Also assisting at the scene was the Waterloo Fire Dept. Ladies Auxiliary, Seneca County Fire Investigation Team, Seneca County Sheriff’s Office, North Seneca Ambulance, NYSEG, American Red Cross, Seneca County Code Enforcement, and Geneva Fire Department who remained on stand by for Waterloo Fire.

Also on FingerLakes1.com