»

Pal-Mac voters approve $27 million for upgrading facilities

Several building improvements are in store for the Palmyra-Macedon Central School District with the passage of a $27.4 million capital project, approved by voters Tuesday by an almost 3-1 margin.

“The Pal-Mac community continues to affirm that public education is valued as an investment in the future,” said district Superintendent Robert Ike. “When a community has faith in the school district, students, faculty and staff are able to thrive.”

The upgrades — to buildings constructed in the 1920s, 1950s and 1970s — will not raise taxes, as 78 percent will be funded through state building aid and the remaining 22 percent — or $6 million — from fund balance and capital reserve funds approved by voters in 2009 and 2015.

“This project has been designed to meet the changing needs of our students and to protect our community’s investment in our school buildings,” Ike said. “The oldest Pal-Mac school is nearing a century old, and our newest schools are close to 50 years old. The board of education has taken seriously its responsibility to maintain quality school facilities and prepare for their future.”

A lot of the work involves facility upgrades such as refinishing each gym floor at the four schools; classroom reconstructions; window replacements; and upgrades to heating and ventilation systems.

Daily Messenger:
Read More

Also on FingerLakes1.com