Savannah Bank in Port Byron will be closed for several days after a small fire broke out in the building Thursday evening.
A passerby noticed the fire inside the 126 Main St. building and called 911 just before 7 p.m., according to a Cayuga County 911 dispatcher.
Initial reports indicated a chair was on fire inside the bank, which had closed for the day and was empty. Port Byron Fire Chief Corey Rooker said an electrical fixture above the chair failed and produced sparks that ignited the carpet and the chair.
The fire was extinguished in less than five minutes by firefighters, who broke a window and put out the flames with a fire extinguisher, Rooker said. No injuries were reported. Rooker said the bank will be "closed for some time" for clean up.