»

LATEST: Fleming field fire caused by resident burning piece of furniture (photos)

On Monday crews responded to a field fire in Cayuga County. The fire was reportedly spreading fast when first responders arrived on-scene — and even approaching a barn.

Fleming, Throop, Owasco, Scipio, Union Springs, Auburn and Moravia fire departments were called to the scene on Dietrich Road.

First responders say approximately a half-acre of property was burning as of 2:45 p.m.

Firefighters have been warning residents throughout the region that this time of year — when humidity is low, and temperatures begin to warm — that field fires are more common.

Officials say that the field fire in Fleming that prompted a major response on Monday afternoon was caused by an elderly man who was burning a piece of furniture.

Those officials say the item was being burned in a fire pit, but that the fire was spreading rapidly upon arrival. The light winds on Monday were just enough to push the flames around quickly.

A burn ban has been active since March 176th, which prevents open burning, per the DEC. That ban continues until May 14th.

For more information about the state-wide burn ban, visit dec.ny.gov/chemical/58519.html

Also on FingerLakes1.com