A pair of 20-point performances from Tyus Battle and Elijah Hughes led No. 16/14 Syracuse (2-0) past Morehead State (1-2), 84-70, Saturday night at the Carrier Dome. The contest was the Orange’s second of the 2K Empire Classic.
Battle finished the night with a team-high 23 points followed by Hughes’ career-high of 21. The duo both shot 7-of-15 (46.7 percent) from the field. Hughes notched a personal-best eight rebounds while matching his career-best mark of six free throws.
Oshae Brissett and Paschal Chukwu each recorded double-doubles for Syracuse. Brissett’s 17 points came with a game-high 13 rebounds. Chukwu contributed 14 points, 10 rebounds and six blocked shots in the victory.
- Battle, Hughes lead Orange past Morehead State (Cuse.com)
- Syracuse basketball outlasts Morehead State for 84-70 win (Syracuse.com)
- Syracuse overcomes struggles in 84-70 win over Morehead State (Daily Orange)
- Syracuse 84, Morehead State 70: Orange move to 2-0 on the season (NunesMagician.com)
- Syracuse fends off Morehead State (D&C)
- Box score: Syracuse basketball vs. Morehead State (Syracuse.com)
COACH BOEHEIM POST GAME:
– The Final Word: Syracuse’s 84-70 win over Morehead State (Daily Orange)
– Tyus Battle ends slump with 23 points in Syracuse’s win over Morehead State (Daily Orange)
– Three takeaways from Syracuse’s win over Morehead State (NunesMagician.com)
– Syracuse basketball’s Tyus Battle gets aggressive in win over Morehead State (Syracuse.com)
– Paschal Chukwu is bigger, better and in possession of another double-double (Syracuse.com)
Syracuse will play its second game of the season at 7 p.m. Saturday against Morehead State at the Carrier Dome. The game won’t be on traditional cable channels but will be streamed on ACC Network Extra.
Morehead State has already played two games this year, splitting contests against Kentucky Christian (102-82 win) and UConn (80-70 loss)
Syracuse.com: Read More
— Daily Orange Sports (@DOsports) November 9, 2018
Frank Howard returns to Syracuse basketball practice.https://t.co/jDLFdjEqHR
— Syracuse Basketball (@syrbasketball) November 9, 2018
#TBT to 1983 when @MSUEaglesMBB played Syracuse in the NCAA Tournament in Hartford, Conn. This year’s Eagles are staying just outside Hartford today and playing UConn tonight and Syracuse Saturday. Earl Harrison here with the jump shot. #OneTownOneTeam pic.twitter.com/MI4JGi8ZJZ
— Morehead State Athletics (@MSUEagles) November 8, 2018
— CNY Business Journal (@cnybj) November 9, 2018