Six Newark High School Winter teams have qualified for scholar athlete team status.
The recognition is given by the New York State Public High School Athletic Association to varsity athletic teams that collectively achieve averages of 90 or better.
“We are proud of our student-athletes who excel in the classroom,”said Chris Corey, Director of Health, Physical Education and Athletics for the Newark Central School District. “Being recognized by NYSPHYSAA as a scholar-athlete team is a goal for all of our teams and we are honored to have several of our teams receive the recognition. Congratulations to our student-athletes, coaches, and teams and thank you for being great teammates in the playing arena and in the classroom. Go Reds!”
The teams that were recognized, their coaches and their averages follow:
• Girls Varsity Basketball, coached by Justin Fladd with a grade point average of 92.121. Team members included are: Jasmine Bueso, Clare Camblin, Caitlin Chopan, Alycia Divelbliss, Hannah Fisher, Kalyna Bryan and Grace Gajan.
• Girls Varsity Indoor Track, coached by Joseph Kopnitsky with a grade point average of 93.323. Team members included are: Veronica Cervantes-Hermenegildo, Kailyn Crawford, Aaliyah Johnson, Olyvia Kiley, Cordelia Lalone, Leah Lockwood, Viktoria Main, Hannah Mantz, Emma Robbins, Kayleigh Schermerhorn, Lauren Smith, Alexandra Ventura, Trinity Wells and Kayla Williams.
• Boys Varsity Swimming coached by Aaron Sweet with a grade point average of 91.594. Teams members included are: Brendan Briggs, Eric Blodgett, Joseph Camblin, Liam Childs, Elliot Dahl, Jace Frederickson, Broden Haltiner, Jaiden Hernandez, Timothy Huber, Steven Hughes, Jordan Hughson, John Murphy, Jr., Connor O’Brien, Michael Oberdorf, Gerald Offen, Talyn Pierce, Zachary Rodrick, Philip Ross and John Szulis.
The NCSD is also recogniing the following Scholar Athlete teams:
• Boys JV Wrestling coached by Robert Binggeli with a grade point average of 91.93. Team members included are; Adam Hernandez and Adam Card.
• Girls JV Basketball coached by William Kirnie with a grade point average of 91.986. Team members included are: Michaela Colacino, Chariah Cunningham, Zoe Fisher, Caroline McGavisk, Gabrielle McGavisk, Kaleigh Pettit, Jamarya Walker and Victoria Ward.
• Boys JV Basketball coached by Robert Havrilla with a grade point average of 90.620. Team members included are: Stevie Brown, Addison Bump, Gabriel Caraballo, Zachary Herd, Raeshawn Howard, Adam Lombardi, Travontay Murray, Aaron Rodney-Spencer, Carter Steve and Julius Teabout.
Individual NYS scholar athlete pin recipients, who achieved individual averages 90 or better included:
• Boys Varsity Indoor Track team members Chad French, Caleb George-Cady, Collin Gilligan and Jayce Smith.
• Varsity Boys Basketball team members Kyle French, Kyle Martinez and Mason VanDeMortel.
• Varsity Boys Bowling team members Everett Cole and Grayson Cole.
• Girls Varsity Bowling team members Natalie Kent, Emily Lang and Rebecca Spry.
• Girls Competitive Winter Cheerleading team members Morgan Davis and Morgan Kesecker.
• Boys Varsity Wrestling team members Dillan Hernandez, Colin Steiner and Jackson Vermeulen.