ยป

Family cleared to return to Phelps apartment after evening fire

The Ontario County Sheriff’s Office provided an update to the report of an apartment fire Tuesday evening in the Village of Phelps.

Deputies say that around 7:30 p.m. they were called along with fire and EMS personnel to 1 Flint Street in Phelps for a reported grease fire that grew out of control.

The fire was caused by cooking with vegetable oil, according to deputies. The residents were able to get out of the apartment without serious injury.



Syrian Vazquez, 26, who lived in the apartment was treated at the scene for a minor burn to her left hand. Her three children were among those who safely got out of the apartment.

The kitchen fire was extinguished by Phelps and Clifton Springs fire department. The apartment was cleared for the family to re-enter.

Also on FingerLakes1.com