Ontario County Fire Coordinator Jeff Harloff says that an adult cat was the only life lost in a structure fire on Bear Street in Phelps on Monday.
Firefighters from Phelps and Oaks Corners responded to the blaze around 4:40 p.m.
Harloff says responding firefighters arrived to flames and a heavy smoke condition. The structure, which was a mobile home – was heavily damaged by the fire – and determined to be uninhabitable.
Photos courtesy Ontario Co. 911 via press release of the fire yesterday in Phelps. One cat died in the blaze, and a firefighter was injured. More to come. pic.twitter.com/qqPWIaoUxC
— FingerLakes1.com (@FingerLakes1) May 14, 2019
Investigators believe a candle in the rear-bedroom of the home may have been a cause. However, the investigation remains active.
Three adults and a 12-year-old were all inside the home at the time of the fire. All made it out safely. An adult cat died in the fire, according to first responders.
The fire was brought under control a little before 5:30 p.m.
One firefighter suffered burns to his knee during the fight. He was transported to Geneva General Hospital and released.
Phelps and Oaks Corners along with Clifton Springs Seneca Castle and Northside on scene of a working structure fire on Bear Road in Phelps’s @messengerpost @OntarioFireWire @OntCoFireCalls @mcfw pic.twitter.com/CRWyRaCNc3
— Jack Haley (@jackhaley42) May 13, 2019
To have the latest updates, information, and headlines delivered to your smartphone or tablet – download the FingerLakes1.com App for Android and iOS. Follow the links below to download the app now! – Android (All Android Devices) – iOS (iPhone, iPad)