»

Lake Ontario outflows to remain above Plan 2014 limits, will not increase further

Lake Ontario outflows will continue to hold at their current rate of 10,400 cubic meters per second, the International Joint Commission says.

That outflow level went into effect last month, and surpasses the maximum limit set by Plan 2014.

However, at the IJC Board’s July 5 meeting, the organization said outflows will not be getting any higher.

The board says, if it were to increase outflows any further, Seaway Corporations would be required to shut down shipping operations along a stretch of the St. Lawrence River. This, the board says, would result in a hit to the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence economy of about $50 million per day.

In addition to an economic toll, the board also projected negative impacts for downstream property owners and recreational boaters – in addition to more flooding upstream of Montreal.

WSTM-TV:
Read More

Also on FingerLakes1.com