»

Hay stack catches fire in Seneca County; owner loses approximately $1K

The Seneca County Sheriff’s Office reports on July 26th at approximately 9:15 p.m. deputies responded to 1811 Leader Road for a fire outside.

Deputies say that a hay stack caught fire after an ember from a burning stump landed on the hay stack catching it on fire.

The owner 27-year-old Israel R Stoltzfus, stated that he left the fire unattended for a short period of time and when he returned the hay was already on fire.

The fire crews on scene extinguished the flames but the loss is estimated at approximately $1,000.  The owner is fully insured, and no injuries were reported.

The Fayette Fire Department also responded to the scene.

Also on FingerLakes1.com