The Syracuse Orange football team ended up on the wrong side a rout in College Park on Saturday afternoon losing 63-20 to Maryland to fall to 1-1 on the 2019 campaign. Maryland jumped out to a 14-0 lead and never looked back. Full coverage of Saturday’s Orange loss is coming shortly on this page…
- Maryland defeats Syracuse, 63-20 (Cuse.com)
- Syracuse Blitzed at Maryland, Blown Out by the Terps (247 Sports)
- Final score: Maryland 63, Syracuse 20 (TNIAAM)
- Orange Trounced: Syracuse does total 180 in ugly road loss (CNY Central)
COACH BABERS POST GAME:
— Niko Tamurian (@NikoTamurian) September 7, 2019
I think it’s part Syracuse being overrated off of last year’s success, part Maryland being better than people thought, and part Syracuse needing more time to get things synced up… Bottom line is, they got their butts kicked today, but a lot of season left, and lots to play for.
— 44ist (@44ist) September 7, 2019
Sparked by an offense that scored touchdowns six of the seven times it touched the ball in the first half Saturday, Maryland shocked Syracuse, 63-20, finishing with the most points it has ever scored against a ranked opponent. https://t.co/ADOIjzff80
— The Baltimore Sun (@baltimoresun) September 7, 2019
— Kevin McGuire (@KevinOnCFB) September 7, 2019
For the first time since 2010, the Terps defeat a ranked opponent at Maryland Stadium.
And they did so in dominant fashion with the most points scored over a ranked team in program history. https://t.co/501qxleDpR
— Testudo Times (@testudotimes) September 7, 2019
No. 22 Syracuse (1-0) resumes its rivalry with Big Ten foe Maryland (1-0) this weekend. The Orange and Terps have played 36 times over the years and Saturday’s clash in College Park marks the first meeting between the schools since 2014. Kickoff from Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium is set for noon on ESPN.
After last Saturday’s 24-0 shutout of Liberty, the Orange head into the matchup riding a three-game winning streak dating back to last season. Syracuse held the Flames to minus-4 rushing yards on 34 attempts in the opener on its way to the 44th season-opening shutout in program history and its first shutout in a true road game since 1991.
This week the focus is on Maryland who is coming off a shutout of its own. The Terps routed Howard 79-0 and surpassed 300 yards both on the ground and through the air against the Bison.
GAME WEEK LINKS:
– Syracuse rekindles rivalry with Maryland (Cuse.com)
– SU vs. Maryland: TV/streaming, time, odds, history & more (TNIAAM)
– Experts pick SU football vs. Maryland (Syracuse.com)
– SU football will wear all white vs. Maryland (Syracuse.com)
– Syracuse vs. Maryland preview: Q&A with Testudo Times (TNIIAM)
– Best Bets vs Maryland and Week 2 (Inside the Loud House)
– Dome is unveiling upgraded concessions and ticketing this year (FL1)
– Mike Locksley isn’t your typical 1st year HC (Inside the Loud House)
– SU football now an underdog at Maryland (Syracuse.com)
– Orange fans should be thanking Maryland (Inside the Loud House)
– Syracuse ranked 21st in AP, 22nd in Coaches Poll after week 1 (TNIAAM)
Syracuse’s Week 2 depth chart for Maryland:
Only change I see is the two ‘or’s on the offensive line. We’ll see what Dino Babers has to say about the status of injured C Sam Heckel.
Also worth noting that injured DT McKinley Williams hasn’t been put on the two deep. pic.twitter.com/KDUw6XsQJ3
— Stephen Bailey (@Stephen_Bailey1) September 2, 2019
This weekend, Maryland football faces a Syracuse team that forced four turnovers and registered eight sacks in its first game.
“They’re very good at taking the ball away,” Terps QB Josh Jackson said. “… They’re a very good defense.” https://t.co/GQ7UEYfziS
— Testudo Times (@testudotimes) September 5, 2019