»

Trial possible next year in Yates murder case

The case against a Branchport man accused of killing his mother is back on the court schedule, and a trial is possible during the early part of next year.

Paul Khouzam returned to Yates County Court Wednesday after being released from the Rochester Psychiatric Center earlier this month. He had been there since April, when two psychiatrists deemed Khouzam an “incapacitated person.”

Cook said Wednesday that doctors from the Rochester facility recently determined Khouzam is competent to stand trial at this time. His attorney, Robert Zimmerman, continued the not-guilty plea on Khouzam’s behalf.

Zimmerman is not requesting any pretrial hearings. District Attorney Todd Casella said he will not be seeking any such proceedings, either.

Cook said pretrial motions in the case are due Dec. 17. Khouzam’s next court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 7, when Cook could set a trial date.

Read more from the Finger Lakes Times

Also on FingerLakes1.com