Friends of Thompson:
The emergence of COVID-19 has created challenges impacting us all. UR Medicine Thompson Health is carefully responding to this fluid situation on a daily basis, to protect the safety and well-being of our entire community.
We are collaborating closely with the CDC, New York State Department of Health, county Public Health offices, and the University of Rochester. Armed with the latest guidance, we have the following to share:
– If you are symptomatic (i.e., fever > 100.4 with respiratory symptoms) you are advised to stay home and call your provider’s office. They will determine if you require clinical evaluation and possible testing. Don’t have a primary care provider? Contact the Ontario County Health Department at 315-789-3030.
– If you aren’t sick but have questions about COVID-19, call the New York State DOH Coronavirus hotline at 1-888-364-3065 or visit the CDC website.
– Visitor entry points to the F.F. Thompson Hospital are now limited. Wayfinding signage has been posted. Within the hospital, visitor travel restrictions are in place. Certain corridors are now restricted to Thompson staff only, for the protection of patients, guests and staff. Upon arrival through an approved entrance, guests should go directly to the patient floor or service area they’re seeking.
– Our hospital gift shops are closed until further notice.
– Visits to our M.M. Ewing Continuing Care Center are limited to those visiting residents who are receiving end-of-life care.
– Thompson is postponing large events, fundraisers and gatherings until further notice.
– All hospital support groups and classes are postponed until future notice, except childbirth classes. Please note this guidance is subject to change, so if you are in a childbirth class, please call prior to arrival.
We recommend our staff and community members practice “social distancing,” maintaining connections
in a fashion that is sensitive to the current and evolving situation. Consider other ways to communicate, such as your phone, digital media and conferencing. Those wanting to send good wishes to our hospital patients and M.M. Ewing residents are encouraged to submit Health-E-Grams, which are hand delivered by our volunteers. The form is available at www.ThompsonHealth.com, on the page for the M.M. Ewing Continuing Care Center and also under “Comfort and Convenience,” found within the Patients & Visitors tab.
Things will continue to change daily and we ask that everyone keep checking our website,
www.ThompsonHealth.com, for the latest information regarding our services and programs.
We appreciate everyone’s patience and support at this time, as we work to get through this situation together, keeping everyone as healthy as we possibly can. We continuously train for situations such as this. We are prepared, our facilities remain safe, and we continue to readily meet the healthcare needs of our community.
Michael F. Stapleton, Jr.
President/CEO, UR Medicine Thompson Health
This was not written by any member of the FingerLakes1.com news team. It’s a letter, originally submitted for publishing by Thompson Health.