In light of the National & State of Emergency centered around the coronavirus pandemic, the Geneva Housing Authority has adopted an amendment to the GHA’s Hazard Mitigation Plan to assist the Authority in dealing with the virus. This new plan covers more in detail the steps that the CEO will implement to protect the health and safety of the Authority Staff and all its residents and program participants.
In following the Federal Center for Disease Control (CDC), U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) and NYS Division of Housing & Community Renewal (HCR) guidelines, Effective Wednesday March 18, 2020 the authority will put into place the following important actions:
- By recommendation of the Governor’s Office, the GHA will reduce its staffing level to all non-essential staff over the next two-week period to the suggested 50% level. Staff will be working during the usual business hours, but the number of staff present at any given time will be reduced by half. All staff sent home will be on paid Administrative Leave time.
- Allow for selected essential staff to work from home when appropriate.
- All GHA Administrative Offices will be closed to residents, applicants and the general public with no face-to-face interaction between staff and the residents, Section 8 program participants, applicants, or their families. All community communicates will be done by phone or email.
- All meeting rooms and community rooms will be closed until further notice for resident group activities and agency meetings. The Office for the Aging’s Meals on Wheels Program has eliminated their sit-down meals program and has instituted a “Grab your Bag and Go” process.
- Postings at all senior facilities, advising the elderly residents to reduce interaction with family and general public within each building to limit potential exposure to themselves and other residents.
- All Annual and Interim Recertification activities will be conducted by phone and mail. Drop boxes are available at all sites and at the front and rear entrances of the main office. Please use them to drop off all rent payments and paperwork.
- Delay all non-essential property/unit inspections until further notice, allowing for only special & new admission inspections.
- As directed by the NYS Court System, halt all filings for evictions and lease terminations until further notice. Postpone all CEO’s Grievance Hearings.
- Response to non-emergency work orders will be delayed, as Maintenance staff will also work reduced hours. Their primary duties will be to respond to emergency work orders and to continually clean and disinfect common areas as often as possible.
- Work with local Banks to put into place various Lines of Credit to draw from to cover the loss in revenues or the delays in governmental subsidies.
- Continue communications, posting and distributing to residents, all governmental notices centered on the COVID-19 emergency.
As residents see a reduction in their monthly income, due to loss wages, the GHA Occupancy staff is prepared to conduct special interim adjustments as quickly as possible, lowering the Tenant or Section 8 Participants required rents and increase the governmental subsidies. Again, this will be conducted by drop box, email and U.S. mail.
In addition, our GHA Team will work with the local food pantries, such as the Salvation Army to assist in distributing food to our residents.
The Geneva Housing Authority is following recent guidelines issued by New York State and the Federal Government concerning the coronavirus pandemic emergency. Our efforts are to minimize the potential exposer and health threats to resident, participants, family members, staff and the general community at large. Please understand that though there may be some inconveniences to residents, these changes are necessary to protect the health of all residents and staff.
Want the latest headlines in your inbox each morning? Click here to sign up for our Morning Edition and Sunday Insight newsletters. They are dedicated to keeping you in the know. You can also download the FingerLakes1.com App for Android (All Android Devices) or iOS (iPhone, iPad)