UPDATE: Walmart re-opened in Waterloo after temporary evacuation

While details are still sporadic, the Walmart located on North Road in Seneca Falls was temporarily evacuated on Saturday. A pipe is located on the outside of the building caused the evacuation. A fire alarm went off around 11 a.m. and customers were told by store associates that it ‘was not a false alarm’. They were instructed to leave immediately.... more

Phelps fire likely caused by unattended cooking on stove

On Tuesday around 5:10 p.m. firefighters responded to a kitchen fire in Phelps after it was discovered by the residents. Phelps and Oaks Corners fire departments were called to the scene, with initial units arriving on-scene — reporting smoke coming from the single-story multi-family structure. Phelps FD and Oaks Corner FD are finishing up from a structure fire on County... more

Crews respond to fire at Ray’s Restaurant in Canandaigua

Firefighters in Canandaigua were called to the scene of a restaurant fire on State Route 332 around 7 p.m. on Tuesday. A fire at Ray’s Restaurant located at 2510 State Route 332 was quickly extinguished, but not before first responders reported seeing flames on the roof of the building. Additional details about the incident were not available this morning. This... more

Will Fishers consolidate or not?

After more than eight months of debate, the Fishers Fire District Board of Commissioners will at last decide what, if any, the district’s role will be in a proposed Victor Consolidated Fire District. Two public meetings are set: On Tuesday, March 13, commissioners will hammer out salary details for newly promoted lieutenants in executive session, and discuss regular business in... more

Crews respond to Aurelius barn fire on Friday

Multiple departments in Cayuga and Seneca counties were called to a second alarm barn fire in Aurelius on Friday afternoon. Photos from the scene show the barn fully-engulfed. Aurelius, Throop, Cayuga, Auburn, Seneca Falls, Fleming, Owasco and Waterloo fire departments responded to the scene on Basswood Road. The specific address of the fire was reported at 6410 Basswood Road in... more

Fire breaks out at senior living complex in Williamson

A grease fire caused extensive damage to an apartment at a senior living facility in Williamson Tuesday night. Firefighters say the fire was contained to one apartment at the Williamson Orchard Estate Apartments. No one inside was hurt. Mutual aid was called in from several fire departments. The American Red Cross is providing assistance for those displaced by the fire.... more

UPDATE: Investigation underway into fire that destroyed Wayne Co. home

First responders say a newspaper delivery person called 911 after witnessing flames shooting out of a vacant house on Lake Road in Williamson. The Pultneyville Fire Department responded to the house fire, which happened on Lake Road, near Hamilton Street. Pultneyville fire with mutual aid fighting this house fire on Mill st. Pultneyville-Williamson, Wayne County. #roc @SPECNewsROC pic.twitter.com/IGVQprBR3N — scott... more

Sheriff Spike: Winter storm claims one life in Yates County, 911 Center flooded with calls

The winter storm that blasted the region with heavy snow and strong winds over the last 24 hours has resulted in one fatality, according to Yates County Sheriff Ron Spike. In an update on conditions around the county, Spike said that first responders were very busy with weather-related calls. He said Yates County 911 had to call-in extra staff to... more

Tops supermarket in Wayne Co. closed after Thursday morning fire

A fire broke out at a Tops grocery store in Wayne County early Thursday morning. Employees tell News10NBC the Tops on Furnace Road in Ontario will most likely be closed for the rest of the day. We’re still waiting to hear from management to confirm that. The fire started around 4 a.m. Thursday morning near the oven in the grocery... more

City of Canandaigua asks, What would make you volunteer?

It’s no secret Canandaigua is seeking community members interested in volunteer firefighting. And, after a gathering last week of local fire companies, it’s also no secret that many are facing difficulties in finding volunteers, for a variety of reasons, including time and training commitments, family situations and more. To help attract volunteers, the city has posted a survey of a... more

Fire department: Dog, candle caused small house fire in Auburn

Auburn firefighters extinguished a small house fire Tuesday night after a family's dog nudged some bedding near a candle, fire officials said. The fire broke out at around 9:45 p.m. Tuesday at 115 Osborne St. Upon arrival, the Auburn Fire Department said first responders witnessed the residents tossing burning material out a bedroom window and rushed to put out the... more

NEW DETAILS: Eight companies assist at Lodi structure fire along Seneca Lake

Sheriff Tim Luce provided an update on Monday to the structure fire, which prompted a response from around Southern Seneca County on Friday. Deputies were dispatched to 9180 Rhodes Road around 12:16 p.m. on Friday for a reported structure fire at the Lodi residence. Upon arrival, deputies reported flames coming from the roof of the structure. The Lodi Fire Department... more

Fire officials tackle manpower concerns in Canandaigua

More manpower and more money. That seems to be the consensus of the needs of fire companies in and around Canandaigua. That, and figuring out the best way to address those issues. A gathering Thursday of representatives from fire companies in the city, Cheshire, the VA, Hopewell and Farmington was set up by Mayor Ellen Polimeni to discuss informally over... more

LATEST: Waterloo home severely damaged by fire, remains under investigation (video)

Seneca County Sheriff Tim Luce has provided an update to the structure fire that FingerLakes1.com reported over the weekend in the Town of Waterloo. Luce says that around 10:50 p.m. on Friday deputies responded to a reported structure fire at 673 State Route 96. He says that due to the fire, the residential structure was severely damaged. The Border City... more

Family displaced after home heavily damaged by fire in Scipio

Crews in Cayuga County were battling a structure fire at 4492 Route 38 in Scipio on Saturday. The fire broke out during the early-morning hours, and took some time for first responders to get it under control. Scipio, Poplar Ridge, Long Hill, Flleming, Owasco, Aurelius, Genoa, Locke and Moravia fire departments were all called to the scene. Southern Cayuga Ambulance... more

$4.8M coming to local counties to enhance emergency communication

More than $4 million in grant funding is coming to the Finger Lakes area to help improve emergency communications. State Senator Pam Helming announced millions in grant awards to the six counties she represents to enhance emergency communications for police, fire, and EMS. This funding will help local first responders expand their ability to communicate and respond more quickly to... more

Saltonstall Street arsonist loses appeal in Canandaigua

A Canandaigua man who was part of a three-person conspiracy to set fire to a vacant Saltonstall Street house to collect the insurance money will remain in prison. The convictions of Samuel Crawford, 37, formerly of 2110 Route 21, were unanimously upheld Friday by state Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Fourth Department. Crawford; his wife, Shallamar Hayward-Crawford, 33; and William Bradley... more

Officials: State plow truck ‘total loss’ after fire on Thruway near Geneva exit

The Oaks Corners Fire Department reports that on Friday around 5:16 p.m. they were called to the New York State Thruway — Exit 42 on the eastbound offramp for a reported plow truck on fire. Assistant Chief Zach Rey arrived on scene within a couple moments, according to the fire department, and reported a fully-involved New York State Department of... more
1 2 3 17