»

82-year-old sent to Strong after Short Rd. garage fire in Manchester

Port Gibson, Newark, Clifton Springs and Phelps Fire Departments were all called to the scene of a Short Rd. structure fire on Thursday. Upon arrival, deputies say that flames and heavy smoke were showing from the west side of the residence. The fire had been contained to the garage and some of the living area, which sustained major fire, smoke,... more

No decision on fired Canandaigua Fire Chief’s Mark Marentette’s status

The job status of fired Canandaigua Fire Chief Mark Marentette remains up in the air. Marentette in June filed an appeal in state Supreme Court of his termination and is seeking his job back as well as full back pay and benefits. But Judge William Kocher in court Tuesday reserved a decision at this time, saying he may make a... more

Nolan’s fire: ‘We’ve known this would happen for years’

In 2015, then-Canandaigua Fire Chief Mark Marentette discussed a deadly fire in Kansas City with his firefighters. “Under the circumstances, I was worried this would happen here,” Marentette said Monday, one day before he was scheduled to be in court to appeal his termination earlier this year as fire chief — and just days after Nolan’s on Canandaigua Lake burned... more

Owner of Nolan’s grateful for support, looking ahead to rebuilding

Nick Violas, owner, Nolan’s on the Lake, thought it was a joke when he got a call that his restaurant was on fire. He quickly realized it wasn’t when we saw the smoke and flames last Thursday morning. Violas’ first thought went to making sure everyone was safe; his second thought quickly went to his employees. “What’s going to happen... more

Controversy over Canandaigua Fire Department funding, staffing

Canandaigua’s Mayor says politics are behind criticism of the city’s fire department after Nolan’s Restaurant burned down last week. Some of the city’s Republican leaders have been on Facebook questioning the department’s manpower. It is something that Canandaigua’s former fire chief spoke about to News10NBC by phone, giving an idea of how much the department has downsized. The former chief,... more

Nolan’s owners plan to rebuild after devastating fire that destroyed the popular restaurant

The owners of Nolan’s restaurant are making plans to reopen next year as Cananadauigua firefighters sift through the debris of the charred restaurant. Nolan’s on Canandaigua Lake, 726 S. Main St., was destroyed in a four-alarm fire Thursday morning. No one was injured in the blaze, as workers had not yet arrived at the restaurant to start their workday. The... more

Republicans blast Canandaigua for fire department staffing after Nolan’s is destroyed

City Republicans in Canandaigua have been vocal and critical of local leadership after a fire at Nolan’s on the Lake resulted in the building being demolished. While the investigation into the fire remains active — the City of Canandaigua Republicans took to Facebook — sounding off about staffing issues with the Canandaigua Fire Department. They point to the City of... more

Latest on fire that leveled Nolan’s on the Lake in Canandaigua

The fire investigation could take days. The loss of one of Canandaigua’s most well-known restaurants will be felt throughout the community. The outcome of Thursday’s early-morning fire is nothing short of astounding for those who live in Canandaigua to grasp. Nolan’s on the Lake, a popular restaurant owned by Nic Violis, who also owns the restaurant at the Canandaigua Country... more

Fire damages Auburn home; dog taken for emergency treatment

A couch fire left some heavy damage, firefighters with minor injuries and an injured dog in Auburn Saturday afternoon, according to the Auburn Fire Department. The call was received at 2:03 p.m., and heavy fire was coming out of the house at 166 Pulsifer Dr. when firefighters arrived, the department said. The blaze was extinguished within 5-10 minutes, no civilians... more

Update: Aurelius, Union Springs fire departments extinguish hay fire on truck

Aurelius and Union Springs firefighters extinguished a fire that lighted in hay bales on the back of a truck in Friday just before noon. Aurelius Assistant Fire Chief Jim Burns said approximately 15 round hay bales caught fire as a truck was driving in the area of Route 326 and Sevior Road in Aurelius. Pieces of the lighted bales dropped... more

Auburn woman burned as boat catches fire on Cayuga Lake (video)

An Auburn woman was burned Sunday evening when her boyfriend’s boat caught fire at Beacon Bay Marina on Cayuga Lake, family and friends said. Patty Bruce and her boyfriend, Mike Vanhouten, were on the pontoon boat shortly before 6 p.m. when the fire started, according to Bruce’s best friend Judy Cicora. Vanhouten was not burned in the fire, she said.... more

Rescue teams retrieve person from Owasco Outlet River island in Throop

Auburn and Aurelius Swift Water Rescue teams were called to the scene of an incident on Monday involving a person stuck on a small island along Turnpike Rd. The call came in around 3 pm for a person stuck on a small island in a river. Port Byron was requested to standby at the Hayden Bridge, and first responders from... more

Fire involving box truck along Rt. 414 in Seneca Falls

On Thursday around 4 pm the Seneca Falls Fire Department was dispatched to State Route 414 and Salcman Rd. for a vehicle fire. Traffic was shut down on Rt. 414 and Strong Rd., and the first fire crews on scene reported the engine compartment being fully involved. The box truck, which was carrying wood at the time, according to reports... more

Crews battle major fire in downtown Auburn

Three fires in 80 years. The Auburn Fire Department was called to the scene at 10 South St. at about 7:15 am, according to officials, where a fire began at Fast Trak Wireless. Smoke could be seen pouring out from the structure, which caused travel to be stopped in downtown. Fire Chief Joe Morabito told the Auburn Citizen that there’s... more

Residents jumped from second-story, family dog dies in Victor house fire

On Friday around 3:08 am deputies in Ontario County responded along with Farmington, Victor, Shortsville, and Manchester Fire Departments all responded to 1533 Meadowbrook Lane in Farmington for a reported house fire. Upon arrival, deputies found heavy black smoke pouring from the home and a fully-involved kitchen fire. Three male residents, as well as a female resident all jumped from... more

Smoking materials cause large Cayuga County house fire

A fire that burned through the windows and walls in a back room of a Cayuga County home was ruled accidental, according to fire officials. Smoking materials had not been disposed of correctly and ended up sparking the blaze, said Kristin Devoe, a spokeswoman for the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services. Several fire departments were called just before 5 p.m.... more

Structure fire in East Bloomfield late Tuesday afternoon (video)

Fire departments were on the scene of a working structure fire on Flat Iron Road in East Bloomfield shortly before 4:00 pm on Tuesday afternoon. Messenger Post photographer Jack Haley was on the scene streaming live… Fire on flat iron Road in East Bloomfield https://t.co/2VQndREFFB — Jack Haley (@jackhaley42) June 20, 2017 East Bloomfield with several area fire departments I'm... more
1 2 3 10