- This event has passed.
Environmental Awareness Week
Tuesday, October 17 - Saturday, October 21
Frank Knight Elementary School (K-2) in Seneca Falls, will be studying New York State environment and its conservation during Environmental Awareness Week from October 16 through 20, 2017. A classroom speaker or a field trip for each grade level, a school wide presentation, and a school and community Family Night will be highlights of the week. We will continue to promote reducing, reusing, and recycling in our school.
The public, students, and their parents, are invited to the cafeteria for a night of recycling, conservation, and wildlife fun on Thursday, October 19th, from 6:00-7:00p.m.for our Family Night/Open House.
This year at Family Night there will be:
* “Trash to Treasure” -Student and family made Recycled Art Projects
* Community displays from Seneca County Soil and Water Conservation, Seneca County Health Department and Environmental Services, Seneca Falls Library, Cornell Cooperative Extension, and Cornell’s Volunteer Master Gardeners, S.U.N.Y ESF, Montezuma Audubon Center/Seneca Meadows, Seneca Gre&n, Seneca Falls Music Boosters, Seneca County Conservation and Weatherization, and free blue bins will be available from Seneca County Recycling. *Taxidermy displays of local wildlife from Matt Feola, Doug Carter, Kevin Colton, and Scott Shumway
* Classroom projects about different animals and habitats, including a Scavenger Hunt with questions and answers about the projects. Students completing the scavenger hunt will receive a Frank Knight pad and pen.
* A Bake Sale, Smencils, and other school related items will be for sale.
* There will be a drop off for clothing donations for the St. Pauly Mission.
On Monday, October 26, first grade will go to the Seneca Meadows Wetland Preserve and learn about meadows from presenters Lacey Gardener and Alyssa Johnson.
Kindergarten and Second Grade will have interactive presentations about their New York state animal from Dr. John VanNiel from Finger Lakes Community College. The second grade presentation on wetland animals will be on Monday, October 16th. The kindergarten presentation on bats will be on Thursday, October 19th. He provides hands on learning and many exciting props.
The Second graders will also visit the Montezuma Audubon Center on Thursday, October 19th from 9:00 until 12:00.
On Friday, October 20th from 10:00 until 2:30 we will welcome Cindy Page, from Page Wildlife Center for three presentations of her show. She teaches environmental education programs about birds of prey with unreleasable raptors for schools and other groups. Their mission is to promote and encourage positive values and behaviors and to empower others to care for and conserve wildlife and the environment. We look forward to this exciting and interactive show!
Submit your event to our Community Calendar here at FingerLakes1.com.