The Jets offense was humming from the start and closed strong en route to a big Week 2 division win over the Bills 37-31 on Thursday Night Football. Ryan Fitzpatrick led a Jets passing game that could not be stopped as he threw for 374 yards and a touchdown.
Jets receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker teamed up for 227 yards receiving and a touchdown. Second-year receiver Quincy Enunwa had another 92 yards on six catches as Buffalo’s defense could not get stops. New York went 8-13 on third down conversions.
Matt Forte had three rushing touchdowns in the victory.
Down 20-7 in the first half the Bills made a game of it scoring 17 straight points with a field goal drive at the end of the half followed by a 71-yard scoring play from Tyrod Taylor and a Nickell Robey-Coleman fumble return for a touchdown just four minutes into the third quarter to take a 24-20 lead.
But the Jets would score the next 17 points of the game to win going away despite a late score by Mike Gillislee that made it a one score game with a minute left.
FULL POSTGAME COVERAGE ONLINE:
– Game recap at BuffaloBills.com
– Bruce Smith humbled, appreciative as 78 is officially retired
– Bills defense abysmal in 37-31 loss to Jets (D&C)
– Roth: No. 78 heads to rightful place in Bills lore (D&C)
– Buffalo Bills retire Bruce Smith’s No. 78
– Forbes: Buffalo Bills are the least valuable franchise