A science class at Canandaigua Academy resulted in a brief evacuation for students and staff on Wednesday.
The incident reportedly happened around noon while a teacher was supervising the class. A chemical reaction was to blame as the room filled with smoke, causing the Canandaigua Fire Department to respond. While there was no fire, or even smoke beyond that room — it proved how crucial emergency response, and planning among school officials is in these situations.
Students were quickly whisked out of the building. When crews determined that the gym was safe, the students were able to come back inside as they worked through clearing the rest of the building.
No one was injured during the incident and the chemical reaction that took place is still not known.
— Jack Haley (@jackhaley42) December 21, 2016