UPDATE: Family recounts moments escaping Canandaigua blaze, remains under investigation

Shared via Facebook by the Canandaigua FD

For the folks who call 22 Scotland Rd. home, it will be some time before things return to normal.

At this point, as fire investigators continue to work at the scene trying to determine what caused the massive blaze at the residence — the three who had to be rescued from the space are recovering.

Acting Fire Chief Ben Cramer said the fire remains under investigation. He told media on Tuesday that the fire would likely remain under investigation for a period of time.

On Monday, the same officials said that the blaze appeared to be suspicious.

The home belonged to Bill and Susan McCarthy.

Bill, their son Matt, and Matt’s girlfriend Sarah Bradley all had to be rescued from the home. Bill is a retired New York State Police Officer.

Matt wound up darting around the house, after witnessing the ceiling on the first floor fall, ran up the stairs making his way through the back entrance of the home.

When he got up to the second floor, Bill and Sarah were calling out for him. The three remained near a window for air — as crews worked to get them out.

They escaped down a ladder, but all three were transported to area hospitals for treatment. Bill and Sarah were treated for smoke inhalation, while Matt suffered serious burns on his feet — due to the fact that he was not wearing shoes when he ran back into the burning home.

The fire was mostly out by 2:30 am. It started shortly after 11:30 pm, and crews remained on scene until 5:30 am.

Original Report

Officials in Canandaigua are investigating a fire, which resulted in nine fire companies and four individuals being treated at an area hospital for injuries sustained before being rescued.

The fire was at 22 Scotland Rd., which is off of Main St. in the City of Canandaigua. When the call came into firefighters — three people were said to be trapped. When crews arrived they found that one person had managed to escape, but three others had to be removed by firefighters. One of those individuals suffered second- and third-degree burns to their feet, according to officials on the ground.

The other individuals were treated for smoke inhalation.

It took crews from nine fire departments more than an hour and a half to put out the fire. Investigators believe the fire started on the porch, and then quickly moved upward sending flames through the house.

The cause of the fire is unknown, but it is believed to be suspicious, according to investigators.

Multiple factors, like how close the homes were located, made fighting the fire difficult.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.


Four people rescued from house fire in Canandaigua (Daily Messenger)
Several hospitalized in Canandaigua house fire (WHAM)
Three people rescued from house fire in Canandaigua (WHEC)
4 people recovering after fire ravaged their home, Sunday night (WROC)


Also on FingerLakes1.com