»

Auburn Fire Department douses garage fire

A garage fire on Chapman Avenue in Auburn forced the road to be closed Tuesday afternoon while the Auburn Fire Department worked to put out the flames.

Mimi Gacek, homeowner of the garage and house at 132 Chapman Ave., said she was sitting in her front room when someone from The Commons on St. Anthony ran over to tell her her garage was on fire. The Commons can be seen from her backyard, and Gacek said she never would have known about the smoke if someone hadn’t told her.

Crews responded to the scene around 3 p.m., dousing the structure with water and using a large fan to ventilate it. Gacek was evacuated from her home, but the flames never reached her house. She said she would go back inside soon.

Read more from the Auburn Citizen

Also on FingerLakes1.com