Syracuse (12-2, 1-0 ACC) held Virginia Tech (11-3, 0-1 ACC), the Division I leader in field goal percentage, to just 18-of-52 from the field (.346) and out-rebounded the Hokies, 39-26, in a 68-56 victory in the Carrier Dome.
Oshae Brissett posted 19 points and nine rebounds to lead the Orange. Junior Frank Howard and sophomore Tyus Battle each finished with 17 points and redshirt freshman Matthew Moyer recorded 11 points and 13 rebounds.
The win gives the Orange its sixth win in the last seven matchups against the Hokies.
- Orange defense limits Hokies In ACC opener (Cuse.com)
- Syracuse basketball rolls past Virginia Tech in ACC opener (Syracuse.com)
- Syracuse basketball box score vs. Virginia Tech (Syracuse.com)
COACH BOEHEIM POSTGAME:
MORE ORANGE POSTGAME COVERAGE:
– Best and worst from Syracuse basketball vs. Virginia Tech (Syracuse.com)
– Final score: Syracuse 68, Virginia Tech 56 (NunesMagician.com)
– Buzz Williams on the Jim Boeheim zone: ‘I think he’s smarter than he says’ (Syracuse.com)
– Syracuse stymies Virginia Tech, holds high-scoring Hokies to season-low (Syracuse.com)
– Syracuse basketball freshmen keep making important contributions (Syracuse.com)
– Boeheim: No decision has been made about Syracuse center Bourama Sidibe (Syracuse.com)
– Duke announces freshman Jordan Tucker, a former Syracuse target, will transfer (Syracuse.com)
The Atlantic Coast Conference rarely hands a break. The competition gets stiffer yearly, and the depth dives further down the standings. The Orange will see four ranked teams (so far) through their schedule, and the Virginia Tech Hokies (not ranked, but receiving 22 votes in the USA Today Coaches Poll) pose a challenge as tall as any of them. Even in the Carrier Dome.
To put it in perspective, when last season concluded, 10 ACC teams sat in the top 50 of Ken Pomeroy’s analytic-driven rankings. Two in the top 10. Now Virginia, Duke and North Carolina are all positioned in the top eight, with 10 teams among the top 49. No. 49, guess who? The Syracuse Orange. Read More
MORE ORANGE HOOPS COVERAGE:
– Syracuse basketball’s first ACC opponent – Virginia Tech – offers tough challenge (Syracuse.com)
– New Year’s resolutions for Syracuse sports in 2018 (NunesMagician.com)
– Syracuse vs. Virginia Tech: TV/streaming, time, odds, history & more (NunesMagician.com)
– Syracuse basketball running out of lineup options (stats, lineups) (Syracuse.com)
– Syracuse vs Virginia Tech Q&A with Gobbler Country (NunesMagician.com)
– Syracuse ‘survives’ non-conference schedule, best results since 2013 (Syracuse.com)
– A game-by-game look at the ACC’s opening weekend schedule (Syracuse.com)