Notre Dame (13-3, 3-0 ACC) made a put-back shot with 2 second left to defeat Syracuse (12-4, 1-2 ACC), 51-49, Saturday afternoon in the Carrier Dome. Sophomore Tyus Battle led Syracuse with 21 points in the setback.
A Notre Dame steal with five seconds left set up a Gibbs layup. Gibbs missed a contested shot but Pflueger followed and tipped it in. Syracuse missed a last second heave from half court.
- Notre Dame rallies late to hand Syracuse its 2nd straight loss (Syracuse.com)
- Orange topped by Fighting Irish in final seconds (Cuse.com)
- Notre Dame 51, Syracuse 49: Offense, rebounding struggles plague SU (NunesMagician.com)
- Syracuse falls victim to Notre Dame offensive rebounds in low-scoring loss (Daily Orange)
- Syracuse basketball box score vs. Notre Dame (Syracuse.com)
COACH BOEHEIM POSTGAME:
DENNIS DUVAL CEREMONY:
MORE POSTGAME COVERAGE & REACTION:
– Fast reaction: 3 takeaways from Syracuse’s last-minute loss to Notre Dame (Daily Orange)
– Fan reactions to Syracuse’s 51-49 loss to Notre Dame (Daily Orange)
FINAL: ND 51, Cuse 49. Fewest points for Orange against Irish since 1942. Second straight game blowing halftime lead and getting outrebounded. Neither had happened in first 14 games. Brissett’s 8th double-double. pic.twitter.com/rqVgCDjBwH
— Matt Park (@MattPark1) January 6, 2018
— The Daily Orange (@dailyorange) January 6, 2018
Frank Howard WALKING back on D with 5 seconds to go in a tie game
— Zach Loura (@ZLoura4) January 6, 2018
Boeheim: “They scored 51 points. It’s not our defense. Our defense would’ve won any game. We need to score.”
— CuseNation.com (@SyracuseOn247) January 6, 2018
Final rebounding stats: ND 42, Syracuse 27. Orange also shot just 31 percent in the second half. And Irish outscored SU 12-5 from the line. Syracuse took just six free throws the whole game.
— Donna Ditota (@DonnaDitota1) January 6, 2018
“We’re not a good rebounding team. That was a myth. A complete myth.” Going into today Syracuse ranked 10th in the NCAA in rebound margin. ND outrebounded SU 42-27.
— WAER Sports (@WAERSports) January 6, 2018
Syracuse didn't deserve to win that game. No effort or urgency. The last play just summed up the entire game.
— Syracuse Memes™ (@Cusememes) January 6, 2018
Syracuse hosts Notre Dame in an ACC matchup Saturday, Jan. 6 at 3:15 p.m. in the Carrier Dome. The game will be televised on ESPN2 and on the Watch ESPN app. Fans can also listen to the live broadcast on the Syracuse IMG Radio Network.
Former Orange standout Dennis DuVal will join a group of ten other Syracuse players who have had their jerseys retired. DuVal’s ceremony is scheduled for halftime. DuVal started all 81 games he played in at Syracuse, a streak covering the 1971-72, 1972-73 and 1973-74 seasons. He averaged 18.6 points per game and accumulated 1,504 points during his career.
Cuse.com: Read More
MORE ORANGE HOOPS GAMEDAY COVERAGE:
– For Notre Dame’s Nikola Djogo, patience is a virtue (Daily Orange)
– Beat writers split on outcome of Syracuse’s matchup with Notre Dame on Saturday (Daily Orange)
– Syracuse men’s basketball opponent preview: What to know about Notre Dame (Daily Orange)
– Syracuse vs. Notre Dame preview: Five things to watch (NunesMagician.com)
– Syracuse vs. Notre Dame preview: Q&A with One Foot Down (NunesMagician.com)
– Syracuse basketball favored by 5.5 points against Notre Dame (Syracuse.com)
– What channel is Syracuse basketball vs. Notre Dame on? TV, live stream, tip time (Syracuse.com)
– Syracuse basketball vs. Notre Dame: 10 things to watch for (Syracuse.com)
– Syracuse basketball’s 3-point problem: Orange doesn’t make enough, allows too many (Syracuse.com)
– NCAA tournament bubble will be different for Syracuse basketball this season (Syracuse.com)
– Notre Dame point guard Matt Farrell ruled out against Syracuse (report) (Syracuse.com)