The Edith B. Ford Memorial Library is not historic in the traditional sense of having existed for many years.
It was built in 1961 and opened in 1962.
But it is one of 20 properties nominated by the state for placement on the National Register of Historic Places, an example of well-preserved modern architecture.
The library is one of two buildings paid for by Dr. Walter B. Ford, a prominent mathematician and philanthropist who moved to Ovid after retiring from the University of Michigan. He funded the construction of the Ovid Municipal and Firehouse Building in 1959 and 1960 on the west side of Main Street and the library across the street on the east side.
The library is named after his wife, Edith Banker Ford, a native of Ovid who died in 1959.