Saturday, July 21, the Yates County History Center will celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the opening of the Oliver House Museum. The public is invited to attend a ceremony and ice cream social at 11 a.m. at the museum at 200 Main St.in Penn Yan.
The first museum curator, Arnold Potter, a descendant of followers of the Jemima Wilkinson, the Universal Publick Friend, spent countless hours arranging and cataloging hundreds of items in preparation for the Oliver House Museum’s opening in 1948. Up until that time, most of the historical items which gave visual proof of clothing and implements used by Yates County pioneers were scattered around the county. Some of the historically important articles of value collected by the Historical Society over the years were stored in the basement of the Penn Yan Public Library, which provided little or no opportunity for public access.
When the village of Penn Yan accepted the gift of Carrie Oliver’s 1852 home, rooms on the second floor were allotted to the Yates County Historical and Genealogical Society (now known as the Yates County History Center). The entire collection of historical objects was moved to these rooms and public access was limited to a few hours a week.