As of midday Saturday, it’s OK to drink the water in the village of Rushville.
The state Department of Health lifted the “do not drink” water advisory that affected the village of Rushville and included customers in the Middlesex Water District that was put in place because of blue-green algae.
The state said samples collected Friday and Saturday showed less than 0.3 micrograms per liter in finished water, below the threshold set by the Environmental Protection Agency.
On Thursday, the state had advised residents not to use municipal water for drinking, cooking, making infant formula, making ice or preparing food or beverages.
Water samples showed a toxin called microcystin from blue-green algae blooms in Canandaigua Lake, which is the village’s source of drinking water.
Tests on Thursday showed results of 0.66 micrograms per liter of microcystin in finished water. That level was higher than the EPA’s 10-day Health Advisory level of 0.3 micrograms per liter of microcystins for bottle-fed infants and children under 6 years old. For individuals not included in that group, the EPA’s health advisory level is 1.6 microgams per liter. The state recommended that no one use the water until further notice.