Republican candidate for governor Marc Molinaro released an economic development plan on Tuesday that would ban cash giveaways to companies and enhance oversight of programs meant to create jobs.
At the same time, the proposals would expand the earned-income tax credit and support “shovel ready” projects.
The proposals come after the convictions of a former close aide to Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the ex-president of SUNY Polytechnic, who had been found guilty of bribery and bid rigging related to upstate economic development efforts.
“Throughout this campaign I have been releasing detailed blueprints of what my administration will do to make it easier to live, work, and raise a family in New York,” Molinaro said in a statement. “Campaigns shouldn’t be about bluster and insults; they are an opportunity to lay out a clear and workable agenda to improve the lives of real people. I hope New Yorkers will go to my website – molinaroforny.com – before Election Day and review all the plans I have released. The vision and details are there, and I am hopeful voters will take the time to read them.”
Molinaro’s plan would also create an Empire State Sector Partnership Assistance Program, which would aim to retain and attract jobs through recommendations based on the National Skills Coalition.
“I ask New Yorkers to give this latest plan a read – to kick the tires and tell me what they think,” Molinaro said. “I am confident they will see a blueprint for individual success that New York, especially our upstate communities, has been lacking. We don’t have to keep lagging the rest of the nation in economic growth. We’re New Yorkers; we have it in us to excel again.”