Officials uncertain at this point if this threat is connected to other threats received via email
The Fingerlakes Mall located in Aurelius was evacuated on Friday due to a bomb threat, according to local officials.
Employees and shoppers were evacuated as state police arrived on-scene of the mall. The threat was received via email, according to reporting by the Auburn Citizen.
The incident comes after a number of bomb threats were reported on Thursday across the region, state, and U.S.
Police say the building was cleared and re-opened a little after 11 a.m.
Bass Pro Shops Manager said the store, and the entire fingerlakes mall, is evacuated while police sweep the building in response to a bomb threat the mall received via email this morning pic.twitter.com/sHCBOsS5vc
— Megan Ehrhart (@MeganEhrhart) December 14, 2018
Geneva General Hospital, other locations throughout region hit by bomb threats
On Thursday around 1:49 p.m. members of the Geneva Police Department responded to Geneva General Hospital for the report of a bomb threat.
That threat was received via email, according to police. The Geneva PD responded immediately with a plain clothed officer and within minutes of initial response — the Ontario County Sheriff’s Office was also responding.
They were also informed that other locations in Ontario County had received bomb threats.
After speaking with administration of the hospital – the Ontario County Sheriff’s Office, and with additional information received from the FBI – no credible threat was found.
Police say there have been some residents in the community that have reported receiving a similar e-mail to their personal accounts. The intent of these emails is to instill panic, according to police.
It’s part of a larger scheme to extort currency in form of bitcoin.
Residents are urged to call 911 if they receive any such threat or email.
All information that is gained will be forwarded to the FBI. The threats are part of a national wave of bomb threats that have had law enforcement working overtime to respond to.
– Investigators respond to nationwide wave of bomb threats as police say they are ‘NOT considered credible’(Washington Post)
– Syracuse police respond to multiple bomb threats, as threats reported across the U.S. (CNY Central)
– Law enforcement responds to countywide bomb threats in Ontario (The Canandaigua Messenger)
– Multiple buildings in Buffalo get bomb threats (The Democrat & Chronicle)
– Bomb threats received in Syracuse, Onondaga County amid national threats, police say (Syracuse.com)
– Sheriff’s office: Multiple bomb threats throughout Monroe County (13WHAM-TV – Rochester)
– Bomb threats reported throughout Southern Tier (WENY-TV – Elmira)
– ‘You better listen to me,’ Syracuse businesses, University receive hoax email bomb threats (CNYCentral.com)
– Syracuse University quickly alerted students after receiving bomb threat emails (CNYCentral.com)
– BOMB THREAT HOAX: 13 Monroe County locations targeted (D&C)