Phelps home suffers minor damage after fire on Rt. 488

On Friday around 6:45 p.m. the Clifton Springs and Phelps fire departments were dispatched to a report of a ‘burning odor’ on State Route 488 in the town of Phelps.

Initial arriving firefighters at the scene declared a fire within the attic above a one-story residential structure.




The home was occupied by one adult and two children at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported. The fire was placed under control around 7:15 p.m.

The structure suffered minor damage, but is insured.

The fire remains under investigation by the Ontario County Fire Coordinator. Preliminary investigation indicate that it originated in the attic space above the ceiling of the living room related to a metal chimney for the fire place.

However, that investigation remains open and active.


Want the latest headlines in your inbox each morning? Click here to sign up for our Morning Edition and Sunday Insight newsletters. They are dedicated to keeping you in the know. You can also download the FingerLakes1.com App for Android (All Android Devices) or iOS (iPhone, iPad)
Support Local Journalism