Rochester Institute of Technology sophomore forward Elijah Gonsalves (Scarborough, Ontario)scored two goals while junior Kobe Walker (Lloydminster, Alberta) notched the game-tying tally with less than three minutes left in regulation to salvage a 4-4 tie at Colgate, Tuesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Colgate senior forward Paul McAvoy scored off a cross-ice feed to finish a rush with 10:13 left in the first period before cleaning up a short rebound to put the Raiders up 2-0 with 8:39 left in the first.
- RIT got on the board with 3:52 left in the first period. Freshman defenseman Dimitri Mikrogiannakis (Aurora, Ontario) circled down the right boards behind the Colgate goal and slipped a pass across the top of the crease to junior forward Jake Joffe (Toronto, Ontario) for a short finish.
- Skating with an extra man following a Colgate hooking penalty, senior forward Jake Hamacher (Corona, Calif.) took a shot from the right face-off circle that deflected off a Colgate defender in front. Gonsalves pounced on the rebound at the left face-off dot and one-timed a goal through traffic with 1:04 left in the period.
- RIT took a 3-2 lead with 11:02 left in the second. Hamacher scooted into the Colgate zone after intercepting a neutral zone pass on the left wing boards and fed a puck directly on Gonsalves’ stick for a short finish inside right post.
- Colgate retied the game with a power-play tally following a Tiger tripping penalty. Raider senior defenseman Trevor Cosgrove scored on an open wrist shot from the left face-off dot with 3:06 left in the second period.
- McAvoy pushed the Raiders back into the lead with a short-handed tally following an RIT turnover with 11:23 left in regulation.
- Walker buried a one-timer inside the left post off a slick feed from behind the net by senior forward Nick Bruce (Fall River, Nova Scotia/Johnstown Tomahawks) for the equalizer with 2:14 left in regulation.
- McAvoy notched the first hat-trick against RIT since Mercyhurst’s Wes Baker notched three goals in a 4-3 win over the visiting Tigers on Nov. 2, 2018.
- Colgate finished the game with a 31-29 shot advantage.
- RIT senior goalie Logan Drackett (Calgary, Alberta) logged 27 saves to earn the decision in net.
RIT has a pair of Atlantic Hockey games scheduled for this weekend (Jan. 2-3) at Robert Morris. Saturday’s game was recently changed to a 7:35 p.m. face-off while Sunday’s action is set for a 3:05 p.m. start.